Jessica's RAM trip to Baja Mexico


Home * Arrival * Day One * Day Two * Day Three * Day Four * Day Five * Day Six * Ember! * RAM's Website

Day One: Jeep's house, Pescadero

The first two days of surgery were in Jeep's living room. The dogs were admitted and recovered outside. The picture below shows the table where all the drugs were kept, which is just outside the entrance to the living room. The stairs in the background led to the upstairs where we slept.


Robin (in khakis) is the husband of Kris Ann, who is a veterinarian and the third surgeon on the trip. Bruce (in blue scrubs) was a surgeon, as was I. Robin was in charge of anesthesia - drugs. The four of us came from the US for this trip. All other volunteers were local gringos (white Americans) or Mexicans.


I took this picture on the fourth day, but it makes sense to put it here. This banner advertised our services, and was at the only street light intersection in the town of Todos Santos, a few miles down the road from Pescadero. We also hired a truck to blast a message from a megaphone, advertising our services. The truck drove through neighborhoods, and hopefully reached people who either didn't see the sign or who can't read. It's a common method of advertising used in the area.


Click here for a movie of some of the dogs as they were brought to us. This movie is 3.8 megabytes.


This is one of our patients. There were many different breed mixes in the area and not all the dogs looked alike. For the most part the dogs were very friendly and easy to work with. Mostly Mexicans brought in either their own dogs, or dogs believed to be strays. A few gringos brought their pet dogs in for free surgery, but they were few and far between.
Pesky and Poky were banned to the upstairs, and oversaw the goings on with great interest.

I had spayed one cat prior to this trip, and especially the first day of surgery was trial by fire. This was the bloodiest of all my surgeries, and she had a tough time recovering. This dog was a real challenge for me. Her gums were pale and she was cold after the surgery, but she was fine by the next morning.


We did surgery on tables covered with waterproof cloth that was easily cleaned. The tables were set on cinder blocks (probably left over from construction of the house) so they were at the right height.

Bruce has done thousands of spays, and even his dogs were bloody on this trip. As far as I know, we didn't lose any dogs, which is remarkable, considering the surgery conditions and health of the dogs.
The dogs recovered outside and were watched over by volunteers. If the dog was cold, she would be put in the sun, otherwise they were placed in the shade. When the dogs wouldn't lie still and could stagger around, they were tied to a fence to await their owner or whoever brought the dog to us.


Next page in the story


Home * Arrival * Day One * Day Two * Day Three * Day Four * Day Five * Day Six * Ember! * RAM's Website